9.06.2011

Croissant Craic Travel Tip # 5 - Clothing & Shoe Sizes, & Fashion Trends



It is no secret to those of you who know me that I enjoy shopping. OK, I love shopping! Living abroad I am quickly learning which retail shops stock the brands I like and cater to my taste. 


So if you are anything like me and you arrive in Ireland on holiday you may want to take a little time out of your busy sightseeing schedule to do a little shopping. Nothing beats the thrill and excitement of racks of pretty frocks, and shoes all lined up in neat little rows. 





However, the thrill may fade when the sales clerk asks what shoe size you take and you suddenly realize you have no idea what your equivalent size is. 


Don't panic! The sales clerk may very well be in the know when it comes to conversions and can help figure it out, but just in case they are not I am including these handy dandy charts for you!  Take note that I have included not only UK & Irish sizes but European sizes as well because many of the major retail chains in Ireland are from mainland Europe.


Women's Clothing

United States 6 8101214161820









Europe 3436384042444648









UK and Irish 810121416182022


Yes, it takes some getting used to so that you don't feel like a fat cow wearing a size larger than your normal.  It is only a number, and that is important to remember in any country.  It is the fit that matters most, not the number sewn into the back of your skirt!


When it comes to shoes you will find that half sizes are nowhere near as common here as in the states.  If it is a higher-end brand half sizes may be available, but don't hold your breath.  The other funny thing to note is while you add a size to convert your clothing size, you subtract  to figure out your shoe size.  In the states I wear a 7 1/2 shoe, over here I am typically between a 5 or 6.



Women's shoes

United States 6  6½  7 7½ 8 8½
Europe36½ /37 37/37½ 37½/38 38½/39 39/39½ 40 40½
UK and Irish 4½  5 5½ or 6  6 or 6½  6½ /7 7


I am not intentionally leaving the men out.  Oddly enough men's shirts, suits, and pants sizes here in Ireland are the same as in the US.  Their shoe sizes however are not.  When shopping for men's shoes subtract a  half size.  So a US 11 is an Irish/UK 10 1/2.


Obviously, trying shoes and clothing items on is a no brainer to ensure a proper fit.  However, if you have a general idea of your equivalent sizes while traveling abroad it may just save you a little time and hassle. 


If you've made it this far fantastic!  I know size conversion is not all that exciting. So in an effort to make for more interesting blog reading I am going to interject my own personal opinions and observations about Irish style.  Most of these observations and opinions concern the under 25 set.  Like most Western cultures fashion varies among individuals and is constantly changing. Here is what I have observed:

  • Irish girls love fake tan! Too often I see day glow orange legs exposed to the damp cool Irish weather and it just doesn't make any sense!
  • Hair tends to be big, and backcombing is all the rage. (think the late Amy Winehouse)
  • Make-up is thick and heavy, lots of black eye liner!
  • Out at the pubs, skirts and dresses are very, very short and heels are very, very high!
  • Many men wear their hair in what I can only explain as faux-hawk meets fade (tried unsuccessfully to find a photo)
  • despite the trends in fashion magazines showcasing wide legs this season, skinny legs are still very much in here.
  • The teenagers love American brands especially Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister.
  • Shorts over tights are a big trend now
  • opaque tights
  • converse sneakers


    I'm sure there are many other fashion trends I'm missing, and they may not be that far off from trends in the US for all I know! However, as I said fashion is constantly evolving and is up to the individual. One thing I do know is you won't see me anytime soon rocking streaky orange legs with my mini skirt, sky high heels, and mile high backcombed hair, or an Abercrombie sweatshirt for that matter.  That ship has sailed.














No comments:

Post a Comment