1.24.2011

Let the Packing Begin!

I made up my mind that today was the day to start the dreaded chore of packing.  Obviously packing is never fun, and I don't want to be that person who complains how hard they have it, but I'm going to anyway.  So if you continue reading this post just know that you have been forewarned.  

Most of you have moved once or twice in your lives, or if you are like my parents you may have moved upwards of 10 times!  So you know the packing part is not easy, and certainly not fun.  However, moving to another country is a completely different beast. 

I've received quotes from at least 10 different international shipping companies. The company Adam is going to work for will be taking care of the cost, but selecting the best mover is up to us.  Some of these companies have a minimum weight, cubic feet, or volume requirement.  Some only offer port drop off, while others deliver door to door.  Some include the customs and duties fees, while others do not.  Needless to say it is a little overwhelming and we are only shipping clothing and small household items!

Now just because we're only shipping clothing and a few small items does not mean I'm off the hook.  I still have to put some of my favorite furniture and things into boxes that sadly will sit in a dark storage unit here in the US missing us, and hoping we will someday return.  One silly thing I know I'm going to miss is our Jelly Belly dispenser.
OH Jelly Bellys how will life go on without you!

Trying to determine what goes to storage, what gets sold, and what makes it on the boat over is like a giant puzzle.  I also have to come to grips with the fact that if I am |NOT going to use it in the next two to three weeks then I need to pack it.  How can one possibly know these things?!  I'm gripped with the fear that I may want to bake cookies next week and therefore need my mixer, bowls and cookie sheets.   Or I may want to read one of the books that have been sitting on the bookshelves for the last 5 years.  If I pack these things now there is no going back!

So pushing those fears aside I began the task of taking down, wrapping up, and boxing my stuff... my life.  
Below are a few quick photos of the first few boxes.  It will be a gradual process over the next two weeks, but I promise to keep you posted.  I know the anticipation must just be killing you!  Ha ha!  Believe me I never thought I'd be writing about boxes, but I guess this is just the blogger world we live in!



No comments:

Post a Comment