10.12.2011

Boot Stompin' & Soup Makin'


Ireland has very moderate weather, rarely does the temperature go below freezing, and in the peak summer months we only average about 18C (64 F). However, it only takes a slight dip in the mercury to persuade me to pull on my favorite knee high boots and bust out my fall cooking repertoire.

Favorite Boots
When I think of fall food I think warm apple cobbler, hearty roast with mashed potatoes, and above all I think of soup! I love that something as simple as a one pot meal can also be complex at the same time. The way flavors come together swimming in brothy harmony.

So last week I put my boots on for the first time this fall and I did a little dance, or at least what I call a dance.  Mostly just bouncing around excitedly and erratically. I am really not a good dancer, but that's a discussion for another post. However, it was that little boot dance spasm that signaled to my brain that it was time to make soup. With so many soup options out there how to decide what kind of soup becomes a whole new challenge. Classic chicken noodle? Creamy baked potato? Tangy roasted tomato?

Luckily, I came to a decision easily. My Aunt Jane was recently here for a visit and she did not arrive empty-handed.  In addition to some of our favorite American candies, and cheesy snacks, she managed to squeeze four cans of Hatch fire-roasted green chilies into her suitcase for me! 


I couldn't wait to put these green chiles to use! So I decided to make a white bean chicken chili. You probably know by now that I am not much for exacting measurements. I usually find a recipe online that I deem acceptable and then I loosely base my dish around it.  I love tasting and tweaking throughout the cooking process. I know that off-the-cuff cooking is not for everyone so I am including below the recipe that I used as my jumping off point, with my changes and additions in red.





I hope this post will inspire you to pull on your favorite boots, warm up the dance floor (hopefully you're a better dancer than me), and warm up your kitchen with a little taste of fall!


White Bean Chicken Chili 

2 T vegetable oil
6 chicken legs ( I used 3 large chicken breast)

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
(3-4 med fresh green chiles)
(1 yellow bell pepper, chopped)

1 serrano chili pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
(2 cans diced green chiles, hot or mild)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano (Mediterranean or Mexican is fine)

2 sprigs fresh thyme ( I omitted the thyme)
1 bay leaf

2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
0. Season chicken legs or in my case breast well with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper
1. Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet. Brown chicken legs.
2. Take out and set aside chicken legs. Drain excess oil.
3. Add onions, bell pepper, and various chiles
4. When onions are translucent, add ground cumin and oregano and cook with onions until lightly brown.
5. Add garlic.
6. Add the cannellini beans, and can diced tomatoes and cans of green chiles.
7. Add chicken stock.
8. Put back the chicken legs and add the thyme and bay leaf.
9. Simmer until chicken legs are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
10. If desired, debone chicken legs and put back the shredded chicken meat into the pan.  
(I removed my breast and shredded the meat with a fork before adding back to the pot)
11. Stir in the chopped cilantro.
12. Just before serving mix in cheese and sour cream until melted and well blended
13. Serve with a dallop of sourcream and some fresh cilantro
14. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment