10.26.2011

Kris Cross Applesauce!


Yesterday I was out picking up a few things on my grocery list. I ticked off the first few items and then moved onto the next. Applesauce. I checked first near the canned fruits; no luck. Next, I tried looking by the jams and jellies; no luck. Not near the fresh fruit or fruit juices either. No worries I thought. Because we live in the city the shops are small and do not always have the largest selection. Fortunately there are at least a half dozen groceries all within walking distance. So onto the next shop I went in search of applesauce. Guess what? No luck!

By this time I am starting to get a little frustrated so I sent a text to my friend, Evin. I probably text her once a month to ask where I can find certain items. Last month it was celery salt (not available here in Cork). She is always so kind and never fails to answer my query, and then gently points me in the direction of her blog post listing where you can find most American foods here in Ireland. Once again forever helpful Evin pointed me in the right direction. However, I was on my third grocery store at this point searching in vain for applesauce and growing more and more frustrated; and a trip backtracking across town to the organic food market was not going to happen. So I grabbed four apples at the last grocery store and headed home.

When life hands you lemons make lemonade apples make applesauce! So I channeled my frustration into peeling and coring apples, and this is what I came up with!




To be fair, applesauce does exist here. My friend Maire sent me a picture of a jar in her fridge just to prove it! However, it is just not as common as in the states where we have 50 different varieties. Think about it, we have multiple brands, chunky, smooth, natural, with cinnamon, blended with other fruits, individual snack packs, etc. I think a big part of my frustration yesterday had more to do with that lack of variety. Variety is the spice of life! Fortunately, I now know I can make my own variety! My friend Margaret even suggested adding pears to the applesauce mix. Sounds tasty! Maybe next time!

Applesauce

5 medium apples
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup water
dash of cinnamon to taste

Peel and core apples
Cut into 1/2" pieces
In pot mix apples, water, sugar and cinnamon
Bring apples to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer for 20-30 min.
Allow apples to cool before mashing them with either a fork, potato masher, food processor, or emulsion blender.







1 comment: