5.16.2011



By my calculations we have been living in Irleand now for 94 days.  That is really not very long, yet I am finally starting to feel settled and much happier than I was 68 days ago when I wrote this post.  Of course just as I am adjusting to life here in Cork, I have to pack my bags for my first visit home to the states.  Don't get me wrong I am excited to go back, especially because the reason we are going is for a wedding!  It just seems so soon, I'm worried no one back home has had the chance to miss me yet! Ha ha ha!

Before our trip I started compiling two list.  One of restaurants and shops I want to visit, and things I want to do while back in the US.  And another of goodies I plan on filling my suitcase with upon my return to Ireland.

Pei Wei (we have Wagamama here which is closest it comes, but doesn't compare)
Chick Fil-A (Hillbilly's "American" fried Chicken doesn't even come close!)
Sushi (No particular place in mind)
Dos Taquitos (delish Mexican cuisne in Raleigh)
Snoopys (hot dog late night with Mustard, Chili, Slaw!)
Sitti (yummy lebanese food)
Raleigh Times (just for a drink, a hoppy cold American beer)
Some sort of North Carolina BBQ
Village Draft House (Must have beer and wings with my Kitty Cat!)
Pimento Cheese
Biscuits (for you Irish readers I actually mean an American buttermilk biscuit, not a cookie)
J. Crew
Anthropologie
Watch the Sunset at the Naples Beach Club
Love on my dog Parker !
Meet the newest members of the Rodichock and Maddux families
Celebrate Lila Stewart and Margarita Allen's birthdays a little early
Spend quality time with Lynn and Rog (aka mom and dad) 
Play some golf
Catch up with my brother
Back and Front porch drinking with Anna, and Megan
Visit the MAD Lab
Costco (not to purchase anything, but just to take in the giganticness of it all!)




Looking at the above list there is some concern I am going to gain 50lbs in the three weeks I'm back, but I feel the need to squeeze as many of these in as possible because we don't know when the next time we'll be back in the states.

This second list is of the things Adam and I want to bring back with us to Ireland.  It's not necessarily that Ireland doesn't have these things. We have just found that we like the quality of some of these products in the US better; and some of the food items on this list are simply not available here at all.

Red Vines (for Adam)
Twizzlers (for me)
Chocolate Chips (quality ghirardelli dark ones)
Corn Meal
Canned Diced green chilies
Better Than Bouillon Chicken and Beef base
Ranch Dressing
Lucky Charms
Goldfish Crackers
Kraft Mac n Cheese
Zip Lock bags
Solo Cups
Shower Poof (Adam wants a bigger one and I can't find one)
Shower Squeegee (seriously I can not find one)
Chapstick (actual chapstick brand in strawberry flavor)


I am sure there are other things I'm forgetting, but a trip down the aisles of  the local Target or Walmart is sure to refresh my memory!  Oh big box stores, you are part of the reason Americans are over-consumers, but I still miss you!


5 comments:

  1. We DO miss you and Adam!!! Can't wait to see you...hope we'll be able to hang one day while you're here!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I'm glad to see Five Guys at the top of your list..LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add drinks with the Glam Squad if they can squeeze me in, and maybe sushi with my old book club?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see anywhere "Perhaps the other Croissant family could visit for a day"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list is making my hungry! I immediately ran out for spinach artichoke dip, soft pretzels, and fake-cheese nachos. Oh, American food, you temptress you!!

    ReplyDelete