5.23.2011

Swing Dance-Floor Watching

Back in the US at the moment for a wedding and a visit with friends and family, but I thought would share this post about a fun night out in Cork right before I left.


I've been really lucky to meet some great girls in just the few weeks that I've been living in Ireland. They are all so creative and cool. Laura in particular exudes coolness.  She is a fashion designer, artist, and a member of The Rebel County Rollers, Cork's roller derby team!  I have to admit when she told me she plays roller derby I was skeptical.  She didn't look like a butch lesbian?  Maybe I had roller derby girls all wrong!  

Before you get too excited this post is not actually about roller derby, but if I ever make it to one of Laura's bouts (that's what they call a match in derby lingo) I'll be sure to cover the topic here on the C.C. (that's Croissant Craic)

This post only relates to roller derby in the fact that two weekends ago Laura invited all of us to join her in a Swing Dance Night fundraiser hosted by her roller derby team.  So really it is a post about swing dancing, or in my case swing dance-floor watching.  I am not much of a dancer, but I was dragged out on the floor twice by friends of Maire's who were just too cute to resist.  However the entire time I was attempting to cut-a-rug I was petrified that I looked like Elaine from Seinfeld!


Even though I spent most of the evening with an empty dance card (by choice!) I still had a blast.  These roller derby chicks certainly know how to throw a party.  I truly felt like I had been sent back in time to 1930.  The venue really felt like an authentic speak easy, the music was spot on, and everyone really seemed to take the theme to heart and dressed the part!  If you know Adam and I, we are suckers for a theme party! (too bad he couldn't be there) In the spirit of things I did my best to create an authentic 'do.  Not my best look, but it fit the theme I think!  Thank you Laura, Maire, Beata, and the Rebel County rollers for a great night!












1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristin! Thanks for posting these pictures! :) and for thinking i'm cool! The feeling is mutual!

    I also want to add that Roller Derby IS home to a wide diversity of people, including butch lesbians; that's one of the things that makes it so wonderful and appealing to me. :)

    So glad you enjoyed the swing night, best fun i've had in ages, and you definitely didn't pull any Elaine moves! :)

    ReplyDelete