5.13.2011

JEDWARD- The Train Wreck Philosophy


I was recently introduced to this crazy phenomenon over here called Eurovision.  I wish I could tell you it's like American Idol, because in some aspects it is, but on the whole it's quite different.  Like Idol it is a song competition, and participants advance with the help of votes from the viewing audience.  Each country in the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) selects a singer(s) to represent them with an original song to be performed live, and then casts votes for the other countries' songs.  At first I thought it was kind of weird that you cannot vote for your own country, but Adam enlightened me with the fact that some of the countries participating are teeny tiny, while others are quite big, so based on population it just wouldn't be fair if you could vote for your own country.

When I went to do a little research on this whole Eurovision craze I was surprised to learn that this contest is one of the longest-running television programs in the world.  It originally premiered in 1956 with 7 countries participating.  This year's competition boasts 43 countries battling it out!  It is also one of the most watched non-sporting events in the world, with audience figures in recent years between 100 million and 600 million internationally.  Crazy right?!

Well, not as crazy as who Ireland has selected to represent them.  JEDWARD that's John + Edward, are twins from Dublin who are actually more annoying than they look, and they are the chosen ones. That hair?! The bedazzled clothing?!  The fact that they are 19 acting as if they were 9?!  I just don't get it. They actually have me embarrassed to say I live in Ireland.



There is some controversy swirling around the results of Ireland's representation.  Young and talented artist Nikki Kavanagh lost her spot in the Eurovision competition to these bozos after a leaked internet video of the duo's song 'Lipstick' caused the organizers to change the voting system. Voting went from 50/50 between and independent jury and viewers, to a 66/33 split in favor of the jury.  You would think this might hinder the twins chances of moving forward, but it seems their teeny-bopper fans known as "Jedwardians" (no I'm not kidding) pulled them through with their feverish texting skills.

Here is a You Tube clip of them in a press conference after they received the green light to represent Ireland in the Eurovision competition.  Hopefully you can pick up on how fully ridiculous they are.  I love the commentators sort of snarky comments, helps me know I'm not alone in my dislike of this duo.


The sad thing is even though this is a song contest, much like American Idol the focus has shifted a bit, and the sheer spectacle of all that is Jedward may actually put them at an advantage.  They perform  tonight Thursday May 12th, so for all of you in the US not tuning into Eurovision I promise to update you as to whether or not they make it to the final round.  I know you just can't wait!

Bonus You Tube clip.  If you want to see them before they were launched into stardom check them out on The X Factor a UK talent search produced by none other than Simon Cowell!  Love him or hate him, at least Simon tells the truth. However, I don't think you need him to tell you how truly awful these two are, just watch for yourselves.


In case that wasn't enough Jedward for you there is also this little clip I found which really shows the depth of their annoying-ness. 



 Before you go thinking I secretly like them because I am bothering to watch and post all these You Tube videos of them I feel the need to explain.  It's sort of the Train Wreck philosophy.  You know you don't want to look because you're going to see something awful, but you just can't help yourself.  Maybe that's how they have gotten so far.  An entire nation suckered into their Train Wreck scenario!  If you haven't already watched the videos, maybe you shouldn't, as it seems it will only perpetuate their popularity!












5 comments:

  1. OK-My coworkers are wondering why I'm laughing out loud at my desk this morning. Your post is hilarious. I cannot believe these clowns and the way you explained it all just cracks me up. The train wreck philosophy totally sucked me in. I might even show my students this morning. My 5th grade class today are my music fans and honestly, I think our topic of the morning will be the train wreck philosophy in my attempt to figure out why adolescent children perpetuate everything that is wrong with society. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment, thanks! If you do show it to your class I want to know what they think, but be careful, this is how the Train Wreck works. Before you know it Jedward will be all the rage in the USA! I beg of you to not allow that to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my students were crazy today and we had a lot of work to do. I forgot I had a sub last Thursday...and, on my way down that's exactly what I was thinking. Once they see it, the Jedward train wreck will spread like wildfire. They'll probably start a rumor that I showed them the video because I like Jedward and then my music taste credibility will be toast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard an ad on the radio this morning for their next concert in Cork. they have their one original song and then they played clips of...wait for it...jedward singing Ghostbusters, Vanilla ICE, a late-90's song-maybe 3 Doors Down? just quality stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jedward so much, they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete