6.02.2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday... A Day Late!



Finally made it back to my old stomping grounds in Raleigh North Carolina this past weekend! So happy to visit with friends and hit up some of the places and restaurants I listed on my "To Do" list a few post back. However, even better than going out to dinner at one of my old hangouts is cozying up in my dear friend Susan's sunny yellow kitchen with a big ol' glass of Two Buck Chuck (aka cheap wine) and watching her whip up something fabulous and homemade! It is even better than a restaurant because I don't have to leave a tip! However, I do usually offer to help with the dishes.

Susan has always been a source of inspiration, not only in the kitchen, but life in general. Her laid back attitude, quirky style, and fun loving personality draw you and leave you wanting more. Her cooking is much the same way, and whatever she's serving up I am usually asking for seconds! So I thought in the spirit of keeping up with "what's Cooking Wednesday" I would give you a peek into Susan's sunny yellow kitchen by having her write a little guest post for this weeks What's Cookin'.

Too bad Susan has her hands full at the moment with an active seven year old girl, and a precious four month old little boy, and sometimes even the best laid plans don't come to fruition. So Susan's blogging debut will have to wait!

Instead I will quickly share with you what I have had the pleasure of eating from Susan's kitchen since I arrived.
The first night I was lucky enough to have some Delicious slow grilled BBQ chicken and cheesy perfectly crusty on top au gratin potatoes! I actually was saving my bestest, cheesiest potato crust on my plate for my last bite, and Susan was shocked thinking I didn't like it. She even called me out on it. I felt like a six year old with my explanation that I was saving the best for last, but it was absolutely true!

The next night we had a few friends over for drinks and appetizers, which would serve as our meal. Susan made a killer treat by combining three of my favorite things, bread, butter, and cheese! In addition to a few other spices, like mustard and poppy seeds melted together and lovingly brushed over the baguette, this recipe of her mother's knocked our socks off!


Her daughter, always wanting and willing to help had a hand in putting together our marinated feta stuffed tomatoes. With diced shallots, olive oil, and some fresh oregano which came from their beautiful herb garden. They were a simple and tasty treat.



An avocado and strawberry salsa served with cinnamon spiced pita chips rounded out our snack selection. Such an unlikely combination in my mind, but it absolutely worked and tasted like summer time on the tongue!

Tasty treats ready to go, and the girls arrived just on time! We shared a few hours of catching up, lots of laughs, and too much wine. Being there around Susan's kitchen table felt just right. Just like old times. Thanks ladies for a special night, and thank you Susan for opening up your home, your kitchen, and your heart to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment