2.16.2011

Beep Beep, Bye Bye Jeep

Even though I should be moving forward I feel compelled to take a quick look back at a part of the moving process that was very emotional for me.  Remember when I posted that you can’t take it all with you?  Well, part of what I had to leave behind was my car.  No big deal right?  When we return to the states you can get a new one. 

WRONG!  The car I left behind wasn’t just a car, it was more like a little piece big blue piece of me.   The Blue Jeep, also called Parker’s Jeep, had been in my life since 1999!  It was purchased new then during the second semester of my freshman year of college.  Roger and Lynn were not digging driving four hours back and forth from home to The University of Illinois to pick me up for holiday breaks.  I did try and take the Greyhound bus once believe it or not.  Somehow I managed to survive, but just barely!  So it was with great relief to both parties involved that I should have my very own vehicle.  I remember driving her off the lot shining and blue with that new car  jeep smell swirling around me!



From that moment on The Blue Jeep was a part of me.  We’ve been through a lot together.  Around campus I felt like a taxi service.  I can recall piling in 6 to 8 of my friends just to go three blocks to the bars because it was simply too cold to walk!  There were road trips to Florida, The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and many more; camping trips, pow wows, make out sessions, a beloved dog head hanging out the window, and even an unfortunate throw up incident (Don’t worry, you know who you are and you have been forgiven).   But best of all not a single accident or speeding ticket was had!  So you can see how nothing but fond memories abound. 



One of the many road trips during the college years




The first time she hauled a Uhaul, moving to NC

All of these good memories are what made it so sad when it came time to leave her behind.  Don’t get me wrong, there were times when I begged and pleaded for a new car.  Most of my friends had long since abandoned their first car, and here I was 10 plus years later still driving mine!   At times I felt it was a bit of an embarrassment.  However, now more and more I’m starting to realize that there was nothing to be embarrassed about.  It was still a fine vehicle in the end, and I’m proud I drove the same car for as long as I did. 





So on February 7th; the day before we left our life in Raleigh behind, I also left a big blue piece of me.  I took her to CarMax where she was evaluated, and an excellent offer was made.  With no choice but to let her go, I feel good knowing she has a second chance to keep on movin’ down the road. 
To whoever may have the pleasure of being the next to own my Blue Jeep may I just say thank you and good luck.  Treat her well and she’ll do the same for you with a smile on her face grill and a spring in her step roll.  Enjoy!

Saying good bye in the Car Max lot.  I'll miss you!


1 comment:

  1. I just teared up at this post!!! I have been driving my car 10 years and sometimes it's hard to have the love but I may appreciate her more now.

    ReplyDelete