2.18.2011

Rain Rain Go Away

Nothing but sunshine and blue skies since the day of our arrival had me wondering if people were perhaps wrong about the weather here in Ireland.  But alas, the truth unveiled itself today in the form of you guessed it …RAIN.  Someone at Adam’s work described it to him as a “soft” day.  Soft meaning light rain and low winds.  This got me thinking about a post I had read a few weeks back on Evin's Blog, 40 Shades of Life

WeatherDry Rain = Mist that doesn’t get you wet even though it’s technically raining
Lashing = Diagonal hard rain (think hurricane weather)

Pissing = Vertical hard rain (not as much wind as Lashing Rain)
Soft day = Cloudy weather with soft mist or drizzle (typical Irish weather)

Wet Rain = Not necessarily a heavy rain, but one that dampens you and soaks your clothes

  I guess I had just allowed myself to forget that the Irish have about a dozen different ways to describe the rainy weather commonly associated with their Emerald Isle. 

Of course I haven’t figured out the bus system just yet so I spent the day on foot.  This wouldn’t have been so bad except for the fact that we only packed one umbrella, and guess who needed it on his walk to work?  So I was umbrella-less most of the morning until I managed to make my first purchase.  Can you believe it’s taken me two whole days to buy something other than food?!  There seems to be good shopping here, but I just don’t really need anything right now.  (Don’t tell Adam I said that!) I’m sure I’ll have more to share on shopping later.

Back to my rainy day; it’s already hard enough being a pedestrian in a large city where the cars seem to be coming from the wrong direction.  Add to that a dozen umbrellas on each corner and it really becomes a challenge.  Fortunately at most major intersections the words “Look Left” or “Look Right” are painted on the asphalt right at your feet.  Thank goodness because I need all the help I can get!  I can barely walk here so I can hardly imagine what it must be like to drive.  Maybe I’ll have a post about driving someday, but for now I’ll stick to the sidewalks!  So wish me luck!  And wish a little sunshine my way too!

No comments:

Post a Comment