2.28.2011

The Great Bacon Debate




Adam and I had a lively debate with some of our new Irish friends regarding American bacon vs. Irish bacon, which are also known as rashers. I'm not quite sure how it even came up but upon the very mention of American bacon the noise level of our group escalated as shouts of "American bacon is RUBISH!" filled the air.

Adam and I were a bit taken aback and even a little hurt. We quickly put up our defensive shields and came to the rescue of crispy, smoky, delicious American bacon. The Irish were not having it. They called it soggy, fatty, and disgusting. 

I like to think I'm open minded so let us look at this from both perspectives. The best way is to make sure all involved is this debate have a clear understanding of both sides. So here is the American vs Irish bacon breakdown:
So here is my other big problem with the way the debate went. They absolutely bashed our bacon. While I prefer our bacon (streaky bacon as they call it here)  I don't dislike their bacon, and I certainly do not hate it.  It's salty and nice, but it's a bit like eating a piece of ham, and I guess I just prefer the crunch of our bacon.

While I feel it is important to devote the bulk of this post to bacon alone, it is worth mentioning that a typical Irish breakfast is also a bit different than our American breakfast. Potatoes or hash browns are not a common part of breakfast here, beans however are. Also the addition of black pudding (aka blood sausage) and white pudding (oatmeal sausage) is something you won't find on an American menu. Stewed or baked tomatoes and a fried egg usually round out the Irish breakfast plate.


I know I am not alone in my love of bacon. In fact while searching for pictures and information on bacon I came across some very interesting things that prove how much Americans love their bacon. So here is your bacon montage!
Enjoy
&
EAT MORE (American) BACON!




















Can't forget Kevin Bacon!

3 comments:

  1. As a lover of both types, I have to say that American bacon is not "unique" it is indeed very similar to italian pancetta.

    ReplyDelete