11.16.2011

Sweet and Blog Worthy!


While trying to decide what to feature today on What's Cookin' Wednesday I realized that all past WCW posts showcase savory cuisine; and almost all are about dinner. I guess this is because I am not much of a baker. In fact I am not into precise measuring and recipe following in general, so baking is not something I do often. Additionally when given the choice I would probably choose savory over sweet. However on the rare occasion I do choose something sweet it is usually because dark chocolate is involved!

So off I went in search of something sweet and blog worthy. I came across this recipe for dark chocolate & caramel salted truffles while cruising epicurious.com and drool formed in the corners of my mouth. I took that as a sign that I must attempt to make these tempting truffles! Christmas is coming up and I thought they might make a nice hostess gift should we be invited to any holiday parties. So a trial run was necessary before adding it to my holiday treats list.

I skipped taking pictures of the caramel making and chocolate melting as they required my full attention and Adam was not home to help take an action shot.





I basically just followed along with the recipe but took suggestions from several reviews to up the caramel quotient by doubling the sugar and water used to make the caramel.  The amount of cream remained the same. Once the chocolate and caramel mixture was firm it was rolled into bite sized balls and then dusted with coco powder before taking a little nap in the fridge overnight!







Woke up this morning, tempered more dark chocolate in my make shift double boiler, and the chilled truffles went for a dip!





Topped them with a few flakes of salt, (the recipe called for fluer de sel, but I used Maldon sea salt flakes) then tucked them back in the fridge to cool down after their warm chocolaty swim.

Final step, ENJOY! They are very rich, but the dark chocolate, caramel, and salt balance each other so well, so they are not too sweet.




These are totally hostess gift worthy, now I just need a party invite! Hint hint!


No comments:

Post a Comment