11.30.2011

Better Late Than Never!



I mentioned the other day about my let down in not being able to host and prepare a Thanksgiving dinner last week.  So in order to feed my hubby the turkey and stuffing he missed out on and feed my need to be all domestic we decided to have what I have been calling "Better Late than Never Thanksgiving!".

I was hoping to document the preparation of the meal making, but once I got humming along chopping, sauteing, and mashing, I completely forgot.  I only managed to snap one picture! However it is of something that I believe is a crucial part of the Thanksgiving meal.

Like so many of the American foods you can not easily come by in the grocery stores in Ireland a can of French's Fried Onions is one of those things.



I have been told by several people that they can be found every now and then in various stores, but much like my applesauce debacle a few weeks back I never came across them. So I set out to make my own fried onions! They were quite easy albeit a little time consuming! I simply followed this recipe and voila! I know they look greasy but that's what you get from deep frying and that is the reason they taste so good!



The recipe claims they can be stored in an airtight container. However, they will loose their crunch. Like most fried foods they are best consumed immediately. Fortunately they crisped up again quite nicely in the oven on top of the green bean casserole!

So that is it for my the cooking portion of today's blog! I know it doesn't make up for not chronicling the whole meal but here are a few snapshot of my coveted stash of leftovers.  I had a piece of pumpkin pecan cheesecake for breakfast!



Oh and guess what else?! I got to unleash my inner Martha and pulled together a simple little tablescape! I used clean empty jam jars wrapped in burlap and twine as votive holders. I used these same jam jars to hold the greenery when decorating for the woodland themed baby shower I hosted a while back. I also tied simple handwritten place cards to small pears. Like the jam jars they will also have a second life... as a tart!











No comments:

Post a Comment