3.02.2011

Local Lingo



Every day in Ireland so far seems to come with a language lesson of sorts.  No, I'm not learning Gaelic.  I am however learning the local slang.  Rather than listing it for you, as that would be rather dull, I thought I would write a short story to incorporate these new words and phrases.  Please bear in mind this is completely fictional.

We arrived in Cork at half four, and checked into the hotel.  Adam was starving so I gave him some biscuits I had in my purse.  He left the wrapper on the desk rather than put in in the bin.  Typical man!  Adam's new mate Ciaran rang us on his mobile and asked what we were getting up to.  It was a grand day so we met him out on St. Patrick's street for a cuppa.  We spent the rest of the afternoon pissing about.
The day stretched into evening and Ciaran suggested we go for a pint at his local. First I ran back to the hotel to grab a jumper because it was a bit chilly out. Then off we went and arrived to greetings of "what's da craic?"  After a couple of pints we were getting a bit pissed.  Ciaran and Adam were laughing at a couple shifting in a dark corner of the pub.  We were having a brilliant time, even though the boys kept taking the piss outta me. Boys can be so mean d'yaknowwhawtimeanlike? So.

OK, so most of that is self explanatory, but in case you were not able to completely decipher what was going on in that story here it is in American English:

We arrived in Cork at four thirty, and checked into the hotel.  Adam was starving so I gave him some cookies I had in my purse.  He left the wrapper on the desk rather than put in in the trash can.  Typical man!  Adam's new friend Ciaran called us on his cell phone and asked what we were doing.  It was a wonderful, beautiful, etc. day so we met him out on St. Patrick's street for a cup of coffee or tea.  We spent the rest of the afternoon wasting and enjoying our time.
The day stretched into evening and Ciaran suggested we go for a beer at his neighborhood barFirst I ran back to the hotel to grab a sweater because it was a bit chilly out. Then off we went and arrived to greetings of "what's happening, how's it going?"  After a couple of pints we were getting a bit drunk.  Ciaran and Adam were laughing at a couple making out in a dark corner of the pub.  We were having a great time, even though the boys kept giving me a hard time. Boys can be so mean do you know what I mean(So- seems to be hung on the end of every sentence here!).

As quickly as I caught on to using "y'all" upon moving to North Carolina I fully expect to integrate several of these words and phrases into my everyday speech.  I am in love with the words, brilliant, lovely, gorgeous, and grand!  They use these constantly and they are all interchangeable.
On that note have a lovely evening so! I'm off to bed, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I love your story to share the lingo with us. And I TOO love the words "brilliant, lovely, gorgeous, and grand" SO fun to say no matter WHERE you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krisitn - so glad Carl got your blog address! I love it. Here's a new blog for you to check out - like the ones you've posted that you love : www.centsationalgirl.com

    ReplyDelete