8.19.2011

Croissant Craic Travel Tip - #3 Dress Accordingly!



I mentioned in Croissant Craic Travel Tip # 2 that rather than packing a hairdryer or travel iron that you would be better off  to save that space in your luggage for an umbrella and an extra sweater. Which is why Travel Tip #3 is about the weather and what to pack!


even when there is a bit of blue sky it still seems to be cloudy here!

A friend recently filled me in on a common saying that in Ireland you may experience all four seasons in one day.  After almost six months of living here I completely believe it. The weather is just so unpredictable! It is currently the middle of August and on my walk into town to run errands I may start out with a jacket or sweater on, then a short burst of rain requires me to fish out my umbrella, by the time I am leaving the store the sun is out and it is time to shed the jacket. I also don't leave home without a hair elastic because the wind can get pretty wicked here. 


Even with dramatic shifts within the day, the year round weather is not so fickle.  In fact, Ireland does not experience dramatic changes in weather over the course of the year.  The climate is very moderate. It hardly ever gets extremely hot, and rarely is it bitter cold. Check out the temperature averages in the chart below if you don't believe me!


JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
Temperature oC
Average556810131515131065













Temperature oF
Average414143465055595955504341













We have experienced a few days this summer in the upper 60's and lower 70's which make me drunk with happiness, especially on the days the sun is shining bright! I have never been much of a beach person, or warm weather person in general, but after six months of these averages I find myself dreaming about my toes in the sand and the warm breeze on my bare legs.


As for the rain, I'm sure you are aware it occurs fairly regularly here. It wouldn't be the Emerald Isle without it!  In fact, within the first month of our arrival I wrote a short blog post about the rainy weather here based on some information from my friend Evin's blog. Basically, the Irish have many, many ways to describe the rain.  Here are just a few: 


Dry Rain = Mist that doesn’t get you wet even though it’s technically raining
Lashing = Diagonal hard rain (think hurricane weather)

Pissing = Vertical hard rain (not as much wind as Lashing Rain)
Soft day = Cloudy weather with soft mist or drizzle (typical Irish weather)

Wet Rain = Not necessarily a heavy rain, but one that dampens you and soaks your clothes



Typical sky any given day in Cork

Typically the rain that I have encountered is a "dry rain". It normally comes in short bursts once or twice a day. Nothing a hood, small umbrella, or popping into a cafe can't take care of!

Hopefully this provides you with some inclination of what the weather is like.  Now if you are planning a visit, the question becomes what to pack?  My mother is struggling with this right now, as her visit is only a few weeks away.  


I find Ireland to be very casual, and I live in jeans, tee shirts, and sweaters. My suggestion is to think in terms of light layers, or things you can add or remove to accommodate the ever-changing weather. Camisoles, tee shirts and cardigans, paired with slim leg dark wash blue jeans, a raincoat or windbreaker, good walking shoes, boots for fall or winter, and a light weight scarf. Also, don't forget your umbrella! These suggestions are obviously aimed at women.  Men are lucky they never seem to have the same problems packing, they can figure it out on their own. 


hooded trench J.Crewlight weight wool cardigan J.Crew,  hand dyed silk muslin scarf, Laura Eliason Designs,  buckle boots with Nike Air technology by Cole Haancomfy easy slip ons by Keen,



If you are looking for a beautiful scarf like the one featured above check out my friend Laura's secret boutique website.  These scarves are crafted with love here in Ireland and in addition to being beautiful, they are versatile!


OK, get packed and get on over here!  Don't let my talk of grey skies keep you from coming to explore such an amazing country, just dress appropriately!  Hope to see you soon!











  

No comments:

Post a Comment