4.29.2011

Banishing the Bathroom Blues!

Sorry I've been kind of slack this week.  I've been working on several projects simultaneously around here.  I'm working on a puppy portrait. Did you know I paint dog portraits?  You can check out some of my work on my other website croissantdesigns.com.  Nothing wrong with a little self promotion right?!  I'm also preparing to host the first party at Casa Croissant, and the use of the word casa is no accident! We will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo a little early with the American ex-pat group we've joined. Finally, in case you couldn't tell from the title of this post one of my other projects this week was fixin' up the throne room.

Let's take a quick look at the before. Remember the odd different colored walls?


A little paint, which cost me nothing because a gallon was left under the sink, a ladder, and two days of rolling, and things were looking much better!


Now for a little atmosphere. I had this print from our bathroom at home sent over because I just love it so much! I did not want to put another hole in the wall so I used the existing nail which happened to be too high for this particular picture.  So I used this fun little ribbon technique, which also happens to add a nice little punch of color!


There was also the issue of an old and moldy roller shade on the window.  I was so eager to take it down and get rid of it the first week we moved in I forgot to photograph it. The glass is textured and there are no neighbors directly behind us, so the window did not really need a shade. However, I felt compelled to put something there if only to cheer things up a bit!


It was a quick and easy fix.  Cheap brightly patterned fabric, iron on hem tape, a tension rod, and an hour of my time! Now the bathroom is looking a little something like this.


Another part of the bathroom in need of a little sprucing up was the laundry closet.  Every time I was doing laundry I had to look at this.


So I took some of the leftover wallpaper used to back the bookcases in the living room and covered up all that ugliness!  Adam doesn't get it, but Adam also doesn't do the laundry!...anymore (Adam ninja edit)


So there you have it! I only had to purchase one meter of fabric at €4.95 per meter, and half a meter of the orange grosgrain ribbon cost under €1, and the rod and hem tape ran about €8. The paper was left over from a previous project, and the paint was already here, so it was free! I did have to purchase a paint roller and tray to the tune of about €5, and two new blue bathmats help add some more color and cost about €10 a piece at TK Maxx.  So overall my little bathroom makeover only cost about €39!

                                               BEFORE                   AFTER













3 comments:

  1. Much better! We settle on our house in less than 3 weeks. I have a feeling I'll be borrowing many of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shade is a great accent - great job, the bathroom looks much better!

    ReplyDelete