4.26.2011

Blank Canvas


Once I got rid of the coffee table on wheels seen here, it opened up some space for our new Ikea purchase  pictured below.  This simple table is known as a Parsons table.  The name is associated with French Designer Jean-Michel Frank who attended the Parsons School of Design in New York in the late 1920's, hence the name.  However, Ikea calls it a Lack table. While it is typically considered a more modern piece of furniture the Parsons table has become an American classic.  I'm delighted with our tailored simple 29 euro purchase, but there is one big glaring problem...


BORING!

It is a huge blank canvas just waiting for some sort of simple vignette, something like one of these inspirational coffee tables.



Just not this much stuff!  Where do you even put down your drink on this one!?

Although this is a pretty fab living room!

Anyway... I came across this tray at our TK Maxx and fell in love with the hexagon shape and the sleek black lacquered edge. What I wasn't crazy about was the map design.




So...


I took this 2010 botanical print calendar, an exacto knife, and a little Mod Podge,
and VIOLA!



It still needs some work. In fact I'm not sure I am in love with the end result, but it was a fun little project.  I actually only lightly tacked the paper down on the tray, so it can easily be changed if I ever come up with something better!












1 comment:

  1. Omg, thank god you're back and writing again. I was feeling a little empty there for awhile :) SN: I love Mod Podge. It is the definition of all that is right in the world.

    ReplyDelete