7.01.2011

Constant Comparisons

Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly comparing things here in Ireland to things back in the US. Adam has told me more than once that I do not always have to have find an American equivalent of new and different things I come across here in Ireland. I agree, but sometimes there are things that just can't be ignored, and I just can't help myself!

When we first arrived we needed a few things from the hardware store for home projects. Of course there are local mom and pop shops in town, but like any big city just outside lies suburbia, and along with that comes the big box stores. It is sad to say, but these big box stores are usually more convenient and offer so much more and usually at better prices. We didn't even know where to look for the mom & pop places anyway. So off to suburbia one Saturday in search of  B&Q. The B&Q is the largest home improvement and garden center in the UK and Ireland. Before we even walked through the doors I couldn't help but notice how similar to The Home Depot it was. Were they sister companies? Orange square logo, orange aprons, and similar in store and online layouts! I would know my brother sports an orange apron (a Home Depot one!)


Come to find out they are of no relation, and while the B&Q may have borrowed the Home Depot look, I was surprised to learn that B&Q has been around since 1969. The H. Depot on the other hand didn't come into being until 1978. So who is copying who here? hmm?

I guess this was just a lesson to my high and mighty American self that we are not responsible for all aspects of modern society. Europe may be more steeped in history, but they manage just fine when it comes to today's fast paced life of technology, economy, and apparently home improvement stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment