7.12.2011

Missing my Stuff!

I had a strange experience this past weekend.  I woke up on Saturday morning and did not know where I was.  No I did not go out drinking all Friday night.  In fact I went to bed quite sober.  It is just that when I woke up in that weird hazy fog, you know the one where you are not completely awake yet, I just could not figure out why I was not in my own bedroom.  Adam was right there next to me, so it must have been my bed and my bedroom, right?  One second later it dawned on me... I was in my own bed in my own bedroom. In those few seconds of fog, before I had a chance to rub the crusties out of my eyes, (fell asleep in my contacts again!) the bedroom I was expecting to see was the one I left back in the states.

Weird huh?  Or maybe not, I spent almost seven years waking up in the same room so it stands to reason that something like that could happen.  Problem is it made me just a tiny bit homesick.  Not homesick for friends or family, or even American food; of course I miss all those things dearly, but what I was really homesick for was my stuff!

I am not ashamed to admit it,  I like things, and material things do matter to me.  Sure I could live with less, we all could, but I don't want to.  I want my wedding china, my wine glasses, my Restoration Hardware giant leather ottoman, my 3 different duvet covers (it's nice to have choices), my comfortable sectional sofa, my ridiculous stash of cocktail napkins and party supplies, my giant fridge, all of my kitchen supplies, my garbage disposal, my gas grill, my car, the other half of my closet, and my collection of design magazines.  There are other things, but those are the first few that come to mind.

I am also struggling with the desire to buy things here.  I am constantly finding things that would look so great in our apartment, a new area rug, a cool lamp, a beautiful vase, etc.  Because we will only be abroad for two years I have to put that desire on hold, work with what our fully furnished apartment has to offer, and get over it.  It sucks. I am not trying to wish my time here away, but I guess I can take solace in the fact that someday I will be reunited with my things and it will be like Christmas morning!

Not a very exciting post I know.  Sometimes this blog feels like a diary, and like a diary I am using it as an outlet to vent my frustrations. Sorry.

1 comment: