7.13.2011

Not Just Talkin' About Lettuce & Tomatoes


If you have been following my What's Cookin' Wednesday post you might think I'm suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder, a disorder characterized by two or more distinct identities or personality states.  One week I seem to be channeling Paula Deen and can not seem to get enough butter and fried goodness in my diet, and the next it is as if Ellie Krieger has taken over my body putting her healthy low-fat cooking to work in my kitchen. Fortunately, there is room on The Food Network, and in my kitchen for both.  So bear with me as I bounce around and try out my multiple kitchen personalities.  

After last week's yummy but not exactly healthy corndog lovin' post I decided this week that healthy was the way to go. I recently came across an amazing blog called Salad Pride where a new salad is posted everyday. 


I am not just talking about lettuce and tomatoes here.  These are beautiful, hearty, healthy, inspirational salads.  Never thought a salad could make your mouth water? Check out his blog and you may just feel differently.  What I really love is you can view the blog by ingredient. I happened to have a bag of these in my pantry.


Nope, not river rocks, although that is kind of what they look like in this picture. 
Give up?


Lentils!

What to do with them? Salad Pride to the rescue!  I searched lentils and found no less than 14 different recipes!  This recipe for Salmon, Lentils, and Rocket (arugula) caught my eye. Doing my best to work with what we already had on hand I had to change things up a bit. I happened to have some shrimp in my freezer, a bag of spinach, watercress, and arugula mix in the fridge, and of course the bag of dried lentils in the press (pantry/cabinet).  

This is how I ended up preparing the dish:  

First I sauted diced leeks, shallots and a bit of  minced garlic in a pot with a small amount of olive oil. I added in salt, pepper, and a little bit of dried thyme. 
(no exact amount, sorry! I tend to eyeball things like spices!)


Then added one cup of dried green lentils and a cup and a half of chicken stock to the pot.  Simmered until soft about 20 minuets.  Near the end I stirred in about 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and a little bit of red wine vinegar to taste.  

In a separate pan I sauted shrimp in a tiny bit of olive oil and minced garlic until pink and curled up.  A dash of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon as well!


Then onto a plate full of greens I placed a healthy scoop of the warm lentils, topped off with the shrimp.  The heat sort of wilted the greens a little which in my opinion was perfection, but all ingredients could certainly be served cold.  I also drizzled a little extra olive oil and a squeeze of lemon over the top of everything. I would suggest you finish off this dish with a crusty piece of bread and a glass of vino if you've got it!


Sláinte! (cheers, to health in Gaelic)












1 comment:

  1. Lovely option with prawns and watercress.
    Thanks a lot for finding me.

    take care.
    David

    ReplyDelete