7.06.2011

Corndogs = American Pride!


Most of you probably had a nice long weekend, did some grilling, and hopefully if it did not rain you caught a fireworks display or two.  As you may have guessed no grilling or fireworks on my end as the Irish don't celebrate the Fourth of July, the nerve! Surprisingly there was no rain.  In fact, we had a beautiful weekend here, so not all was lost.  

I spent my fourth of July shopping with American pal Evin and we discovered all kinds of American goodies at TK Maxx like Pop Tarts, Aunt Jemima, Marshmallow Fluff, Tootsie Rolls, and Lucky Charms!  Evin snapped a few photos since we were kind of excited to at least look at the American food.  I say look because there is no way I was buying it!  At 9 euro for a box of lucky charms, and 6 euro for JIF peanut butter I made the decision to pass.


Later in the evening I met up with a few other American friends for a pint. I brought along a plate of chocolate chip cookies to share, made with Ghirardelli chips which I brought back in my suitcase last month!  I washed my cookie down with a Murphy's Irish Stout. I tried to stick with the whole God Bless America thing, but the only American beers served in most of the pubs here are Miller and Bud. If you know me at all you know I have a bit of a discriminating beer palette; I'm not ashamed to be a beer snob. 


Hopefully my American style meal makes up for not drinking an American beer.  I debated making burgers or BBQ, but changed my mind because I have just made both rather recently.  Then I thought about making brats, but decided to save that for Adam’s Oktoberfest birthday in September!  However, brats got me thinking about hotdogs, and hotdogs got me thinking about corndogs, and what’s more American than mystery meat on a stick covered in cornmeal batter, and fried to perfection?! Sorry if you’re not a fan, Adam loves them and I wouldn’t turn one down.

I have never made corndogs before but once I got it in my head I was so excited to put to use the cornmeal I also brought back with me from my US vacation!  Cornmeal, flour, eggs, check, check, check! Hotdogs...hmmm?  No Oscar Mayer here, or Ball Park Franks, or Hebrew Nationals. Funny we have dozens of hot dog choices in the US and not simply just the brand name. Hot dog choices abound from all beef, kosher, low sodium and low fat, vegan, to foot long vs bun length!  


As with most products here choices are limited and it was these or Tesco brand. 


These are Herta brand Frankfurters made in France. They looked like hotdogs even though they were very long and skinny, so I grabbed them and hoped they would do.  As it turned out, they were perfect, and even if they weren't, you wouldn't know it once they were covered in yummy cornmeal batter and fried up crispy on the outside. 



While this is not a common meal in our home it turned out to be a delightful treat, and really not all that difficult.  The only let down was because they were fried in a pan rather than a deep fryer, the dough did not puff up into that perfectly spherical shape.  So they were kind of flat on two sides, but honestly that is my only complaint. I served my slightly flat looking corndogs with sweet potato fries, and tangy coleslaw, and you know what? They made me proud to be an American!



This is the recipe I used:


2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of yellow corn meal
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4  teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1 egg
3/4 cup of whole milk
4-6 hot dogs
4 tablespoons of cornstarch (for dredging)


Pour your oil in a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or deep fryer.  Heat over medium-high heat until ready for frying. I usually drop a dime size amount of batter into the oil to determine if it’s ready, but you can certainly use a thermometer to figure it out!
Skewers or chopsticks 

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne. In a large bowl whisk the one egg and whole milk.  Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once, mixing until just combined.  Don’t over-mix and let it rest for 10 minutes. Transffering the batter to a tall thin cup might make it easier for dipping.  I had to sort of turn the bowl on it’s side, and it was a bit tricky!
While your batter is resting, lay your cornstarch on a baking sheet or papertowel.  Place each hot dog on a skewer and roll in the cornstarch, being sure to pat off any excess.  Then quickly dip the hot dog in and out of the batter. Immediately but carefully place the corn dog in the hot oil.  Cook until the coating is golden brown, 4-5 minutes.  Remove with tongs and place on paper towels for draining.  Serve with ketchup and mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment